Patients often come to us with dental problems that need to be fixed, but we do offer preventative dentistry so patients don’t have to deal with the inconvenience or pain caused by such conditions. One such treatment is a simple yet effective way to avoid the dreaded cavity. Read more to find out about this procedure.
Dental sealants are recognized as a procedure for teens and adults that creates a barrier on the back teeth to protect the deep grooves from harmful bacteria. Everyone is susceptible to tooth decay, regardless of age. Dental sealants can help prevent cavities and avoid the consequences of tooth decay that is not addressed in a timely manner.
Here are some things to think about when it comes to protecting your teeth with sealants:
- They lower the risk of cavities — According to the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, dental sealants prevent cavities by 86%. They keep cavities from forming and can even stop tooth decay in its early stages.
- They are long-lasting — With regular dental check-ups, sealants can protect your teeth for up to 10 years.
- They are a barrier for the chewing surfaces — Sealants act as protective barriers that keep bacteria away, and prevent plaque and food from sticking in the grooves of your teeth.
- They don’t affect the functionality of your teeth — Thanks to the application technique and the materials they are made of, sealants bond perfectly with the surface of the tooth so they don’t alter the shape or functionality at all.
- They save you time — Not only is the application fast, but it saves you from countless hours in the dentist’s chair for long repairing treatments.
There are multiple ways we can repair and replace teeth, but dental sealants can help you avoid needing such treatments. If you have any questions about sealants or other protective dental treatments, please let us know at your next visit.