The loss of natural teeth doesn’t have to be the end of eating foods you like or smiling confidently. There are many options available to replace missing teeth, and one of these is with the use of an overdenture. An overdenture goes over a supporting structure, such as natural teeth or dental implants and is made up of prosthetic crowns and acrylic plastic that simulates gum tissue. They are like dentures in that they can be removed, but they get their support from dental implants.
Overdentures provide a functional benefit and look like natural teeth, allowing you to smile without having to hide the gaps. Advantages of overdentures also include:
- They reduce shrinking of the jawbone, which can occur when teeth are missing and there is no tooth root to stimulate it. It redirects the force and pressure in the mouth which helps to preserve the jaw structure.
- They are durable and, because they are fixed in place with natural teeth or dental implants, they provide a sturdy fit.
- Since overdentures can be removed easily for daily cleaning, they help maintain dental health.
- The digestive process is improved because they restore the stability of your bite, allowing you to chew your food properly.
- Confidence is improved with overdentures because the strong fit gives you the ability to chew your food, speak clearly and smile knowing that your teeth look and feel great.
At Caring Dental of Spotswood, we help patients in Spotswood, NJ find the best tooth restoration treatment based on their particular needs. We discuss options with you such as whether a removable or permanent prosthetic would be the best fit for you based on your daily routines and schedule. We look forward to helping you find the best solution! Please call our office to schedule an appointment today.