Children get so excited when they lose a tooth. They run to tell their parents, and at night they place it under their pillow. Then, they eagerly await a visit from the tooth fairy. Now as an adult, losing a tooth is nothing to look forward to, in fact, you avoid it at all costs. However, teeth are lost for a variety of reasons, such as trauma, genetic conditions, gum disease, or tooth decay. Some people may feel self-conscious about missing teeth and find creative ways to detract attention from their mouth.
Also, when the teeth don’t get replaced, the stability and health of the remaining teeth are compromised. The teeth can shift out of place and become hard to clean properly, which leaves patients at an increased risk of tooth decay and gum disease. The team at Caring Dental of Spotswood wants to give you a reason to smile with dental implants.
What Is a Dental Implant?
A dental implant has three parts. First, the implant, which is a titanium screw placed surgically into the jaw bone. Second, the abutment is a special connector attaching the implant to the crown. Third, the crown is the final restoration customized to look the same as natural teeth.
Dental Implant Benefits
- When missing teeth aren’t replaced, bone loss will occur eventually. Implants stimulate the jaw bone, which encourages bone growth.
- The adjacent teeth don’t need modification to prepare for implants. For other restorations, such as bridges or crowns, the removal of tooth structure is necessary.
- Replacing missing teeth with implants helps restore normal chewing function. When you’re able to chew food properly, it improves your digestive health.
- Enjoy all of your favorite foods and eat freely without worrying about the embarrassing moments you’re subject to with removable prosthetics.
- The bone loss occurring because of missing teeth can change the shape of your face, which causes you to appear older. Implants can help stop the face from sagging.
- Implants help restore the beauty of your smile and boost your self-confidence because they look like your natural teeth.
- Missing teeth can interfere with speech. It may be difficult to pronounce words clearly because the tongue pressing against the teeth is necessary to produce some sounds.
With proper care, dental implants can last a lifetime. Maintain good oral hygiene practice by brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing once daily. Get regular exams and cleanings. To find out if you’re a candidate for implants, contact our office to schedule a consultation. We serve patients in Spotswood, New Jersey, and the surrounding areas.